How To Start A Prayer Journal
A few years ago when I first started blogging, I wrote a post about How To Start A Prayer Journal and it has been floating around Pinterest a lot lately, so I thought it was time to update the post. In 2013, one of my resolutions was to keep a prayer journal for the year. I have said it a lot on this blog, but I firmly believe in the power of prayer. It has been a huge part of my life and relationship with God. By keeping a journal, it helped me organize my prayers, really pray for others when they asked, and it helped me in my memorization of scripture.
How To Start A Prayer Journal:
1. Find a notebook you like, and make sure it is durable, you will use it a lot. I carried mine with me almost everywhere.
2. Tab the notebook for each day of the week
3. Set categories. These are the categories I used:
Monday: Husband, Marriage, Relationships
Tuesday: Spiritual Life, Ministry
Wednesday: Work, Home
Thursday: Thanks/Praise, Friendships
Friday: Finances, Giving, Health
Saturday: Family, Neighbors
Sunday: Children, Church, Rest
3. Verses: Write 3 key verses about prayer at the beginning for focus, or key life verses you may have. And I included verses at the top of each day, so that I can pray verses over those specific categories. This also helped me with scripture memorization because I prayed them a lot. The three I used at the beginning were Colossians 1:9-10, John 15:4-8, and Philippians 4:4-7.
4. Start writing your notes. I wrote down specific prayers under each category or just names of people. Then, as I thought of others, or they arose throughout the week, I would write them down on the day that fit best category wise. For immediate prayer requests, I kept a sticky note in my journal that I moved to each day.
This is by no means the only way to set up a prayer journal. I just found it very helpful for praying about the aspects of my life, praying scripture, and praying for others on a consistent basis.
Check out this month’s featured sponsor: