Over the past few years, one of my most read blog posts has consistently been 20 ways to say I love you. This past week, I decided to re-read the post and honestly it is such a great list to spark ideas on how to say i love you, but it really left me wanting more. I wanted to dive a little deeper today and share 25 ways to show your husband love broken down into the 5 love languages. You have probably heard me mention these before, but if not, it is from a book: 5 Love Languages. Essentially, it is so important to know your spouses love language, because oftentimes, we give love in a way that we understand or need, not necessarily in a way that our spouse would understand. We are all wired differently, therefore, all feel love differently.
The five love languages are quality time, words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service and physical touch. Kevin is acts of service and quality time so I try to focus on them a lot!
1. Have a daily check in. I talked about a daily check in being important last week and it is a great way to show your quality time guy that you care.
2. Plan Date Nights. Get a sitter and get out of the house. If you need a cheap option, check out my 25 stay at home date night ideas. Turn off the phones and spend time together. It’s not super important what you do, as long as you are together.
3. Rent a movie for your kids (if they are older) or put your kids to bed early and just focus on each other.
4. Help him with a project. Doing things around the house together is slightly a mix of acts of service and quality time. I find that chores are fun when we do them together. We like to listen to music and talk as we go.
5. Do something he enjoys together. Let him decide. You can take a walk, go to the gym, watch a sporting even. Just let him pick what he likes to do.
Words of Affirmation
6. Put love notes around the house. These can be a word of encouragement, a prayer, scripture or a simple, “I Love You”. I like to do this on the door coming into the house, the milk carton, the mirror, etc.
7. Send him text messages or emails throughout the day. These can be so fun! Need ideas? Check out 25 Text Messages for Your Husband.
9. Notice him in public. Brag about your spouse to others in front of him and when he’s not there. Lift him up and appreciate him.
10. Thank him. Be vigilant to notice all that your husband does for your family. This is huge! Take the time to really notice everything big and small and be thankful for those things. Consider his strengths and build those up. Does he always do the dishes? Take time to notice and encourage. Does he always put the kids to bed? Let him know what a great father he is to your kids.
I will admit, this catagory is the hardest for me because it is far from both of our love languages, so I will do my best!
11. Just because. Get him a gift just because. Its Tuesday, grab him a new shirt or sunglasses he’s been wanting out of the blue.
12. Make him something. Do you craft? Make him a card or something special from the heart.
13. His work. Leave him a surprise gift at this work. Maybe a new picture of the two of you or download a new playlist to his computer?
14. Go all out. Think big. You could set timers in his phone with clues to find gifts. 7:00 – Look in your bathroom drawer. Have a special gift or note waiting for him. 11:00am – Look in your desk at work. 3:00pm – Open your glove box. You get the idea…
15. Date Night. Gift a date night. This might sound odd, but the typical “gift” love language person tends to enjoy the thought behind the gift the most. Plan out a date night around them, their likes and what they love to do.
Acts of Service
16. Make his favorite. In college, I still remember calling Kevin’s mom and asking for her recipe to his favorite meal. This “act of service” meant so much to him and so enjoyed a home-cooked meal.
17. Something unexpected. Do something unexpected for your spouse. Has he been talking about cleaning out a closet? Clean it for him while he’s still at work. Does he want to try a new restaurant out? Plan at date night.
18. Pick up chores. Do one of “his” chores for him. My husband typically does the dishes, so I like to try to do them when I can for him to take something off his plate.
19. Help with work or a project. Offer to help your husband with something for his work or a project around the house.
20. Notice. Notice his “quirks” – Does your husband enjoy the bed being made? Make the bed and leave him a note. Does he like all of the towels to hang a certain way? Put them just right. Notice what he likes and find ways to make him happy.
21. Kiss… a lot. Kiss him good bye in the morning, hello when he gets home work, before bed. You name it.
22. Cuddle. Have uninterrupted time to cuddle on the couch or even just sit next to each other an hold hands.
23. Offer a massage. Give him a back massage and food massage. Show him that you appreciate him.
24. Move next to him. Sit next to him on the couch. At dinner. Just make an effort to engage him with conversation and just “be” together.
25. PDA. Yes… public. Appropriately, but public.
I hope that these 25 ideas help spark ideas for your husband! Comment below with any other ideas you like to do!